My favorite part about the holiday’s this time of year is all the stories you get from actual experiences. I’m all about writing from experience, and am currently working on a story derived from an event that happened a few Christmas’ ago.
Here, as the title suggests, are some writing prompts that follow the theme of the holiday season, all derived from my experiences or experiences of friends and family:
- You and a neighbor are in a silent competition of who can decorate the exterior of their house better.
- Dad says you can’t celebrate Christmas anymore if you continue playing with a dreidel.
- Mom starts to make a pie until she realizes the brown sugar is too hard to bake with. She sends you out to get more.
- The nativity scene at the Catholic college you attend has a baby Jesus that students like to steal. As a result, the department of public safety has put a tracker in the baby Jesus statue. Tell the story on how you stole baby Jesus and are being hunted down by DPS.
- You’re on the hunt for the perfect outfit that says “I may be emo but I still love Christmas”
- Not to be dramatic, but New Years Eve/Day is cancelled until something good happens this year.
- This year, Christmas Eve and Hanukkah fall on the same day. Talk about all the chain texts you receive, and the aftermath of them.
- Fabricate your own holiday song and track its success (or lack thereof) among peers.
- Consider this twist to a classic fairy tale, you’ll know the one: A brother and sister battle a witch who uses fruit cake and roasted chestnuts to lure teenagers into her home.
- Christmas caroling except you’re standing outside your ex’s house yelling obscenities.